Most of us are no stranger to the discomfort of back and neck pain. I won’t bore you with the superfluous statistics, but the majority of us have experienced symptoms in these areas throughout the course of our lives. How will you choose to deal with these common problems? The path of treatment that you choose can play a huge role in your outcome – the outcome of your health as well as the size of the dent in your bank account. It is important to know what to expect from different treatment options so that you can make sound decisions regarding your health and financial situation. Sometimes choosing the path less taken can make all of the difference.
The Fork in the Road:
Which Path of Treatment to Choose
So, you are experiencing some level of pain in your back or neck – maybe this is the first time, or maybe this has been a recurring problem. The majority of people will choose to see a regular physician, in hopes of getting medication to treat the pain and an MRI to diagnose the problem. But, is there a better way? Let’s talk about why this may not be the best path to choose, and explore why seeking treatment at Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy Center may be right for you.
Pain Meds & MRIs
There are many reasons why seeking treatment from your regular physician for back and neck pain isn’t always the best idea. Often people choose this path without realizing the disadvantages that it will present. Here are some common disadvantages of this path of treatment –
- If you choose this path, you can expect to spend an estimated $6,664 on your problem in the year following the onset of your symptoms. These costs will include –
Initial doctor’s visit
A referral to a specialist
Cost for pain management/medication throughout the entire year
Cost of an MRI or other expensive tests
- When you choose the route of pain medication, you are only temporarily relieving the pain rather than treating it, leaving you with a higher chance of a recurring problem.
- With this chosen path you have a higher risk of surgery. This should always be your last resort of treatment, as it is very hard to recover from.
Physical Therapy Treatment
When you seek the advice of one of the expert physical therapists at Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy Center, you are seeking quality care at a much more reasonable price. Here are some of the advantages of choosing the path of physical therapy treatment –
- As a first intervention, you are likely to spend an estimate of $1871 during a year’s worth of treatment. That is only a fraction of what you would spend by going the other route.
- By going directly to your physical therapist at the onset of pain, you decrease the chances of the pain becoming progressively worse or extending further from its original point of origin.
- Physical Therapy treatment will leave you with a higher chance of getting better and back to work faster.
- You will avoid the cost and risks of taking pain medication for extended periods of time.
- Your physical therapist will provide you with a personalized plan of care, catered only to you, to not only treat the existing problem, but also improve your strength, posture and mobility, preventing any recurrent injuries.
As the consumer is being asked to pay more out of pocket for their health care costs, it will become more important that you make the right choices when entering the health care arena. Quality care should be your top priority, and when it comes to back and neck pain, our expert team of physical therapists can provide you with that quality care at a fraction of the cost compared to other treatment options. When it comes to your health, sometimes it pays to venture off of the beaten path.
With four locations from Crestview to Destin, Florida, the Orthopedic & Sports Physical Therapy Center is the place to go for sports injuries and for expedient therapeutic recovery. Orthopedic & Sports Physical Therapy Center has expertise in assessing, diagnosing, and treating the real issues that cause medical problems. Let Orthopedic & Sports Physical Therapy Center, LLC help you find a reliable, nonsurgical solution to your back and neck pain, as well as any other ailments.